Group Head of Processing
Group Head of Processing
Reporting to: Group Chief Executive Officer
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa - with travel into Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda.
In collaboration with Group CEO, Country CEO's and managers of processing (pole plants and sawmills), determine and execute the operational strategic objectives of the business. Drive operational efficiencies, ensuring processing operations achieving alignment, synergies, standardisation and cost efficiencies in all group operations. Develop a successful Sawmill business across all three regions - this will entail sales/marketing, route to market, business planning in collaboration with the Sawmill Managers and Country CEO's. Ensure business growth through directing and managing business operations activities to ensure these are delivered in accordance with the organisational strategy. To plan, direct and manage the performance of the company' operations, as dictated by the overall strategy agreed by Exco, Group CEO and the Board, to maintain and develop business growth.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Strategy Execution and Budgetary Management
- contribute to the development and refinement of NFC's ongoing vision and strategy to ensure a sustainable business model.
- support the overall process of management and corporate decision making to ensure that NFC maximises its short, medium and long-term profitability and returns to its shareholders
- liaise with, and mentor, heads of operations on the implementation of the NFC operational plans
- develop, review and report on the operational strategy, ensuring the strategic objectives are well understood and executed by the heads of departments
- manage all operational elements of the busines
- drive common best operating practises in the company's various divisions ensuring maximum efficiency in timber supply chain management, production processes, marketing and distribution attend Exco and Manco and staff forums in the business and serve on boards of related companies (country boards) as required.
- execute the responsibilities according to lawful and ethical standards
- responsible for all operational aspects of business within the subsidiaries.
- in collaboration with country CEO's drive the operational plan and agenda of the subsidiaries.
- help drive sales and diversify the customer and product base, ensuring that we can efficiently deliver on customers' demands.
- manage all operational aspects of the business. Standardise processes and procedures across all territories and ensure that there is transfer of skills and best practice in all subsidiaries
- work closely with country CEO's to ensure a steady flow of third-party pole by managing price and quality as well as work closely with third-party growers to ensure continuous improvement in quality of product and ethical work practices
- in close collaboration with country CEO's and local heads of business create strong relationships with all relevant stakeholders including government and key utilities
- coordinate the certification processes for:
b. Other related certification systems such as ISO14001 and/or OSHAS18001
- in collaboration with country CEO's and Saw Mill Managers develop a successful sawmilling business in all business territories. Develop clear business plans for product and value-addition and present plans to the Group Chief Executive Officer and subsidiary and group Board of Directors for approval.
- participate in expansion activities for NFC
Managing of the overall operations function including:
- Country operations - ensuring that the operations functions are run
- effectively and efficiently so that each operational division performs in terms with their strategic plan, developmental plan and operational plan objectives.
- maintain the administration, budgeting, monitoring, reporting, communication and liaison on all operational affairs at a level acceptable to the board.
- operations and controls
- implement, maintain and manage an effective system of controls throughout the company, covering non-financial as well as financial controls
- ensure that operating objectives and standards of performance are owned by management as well as employees
- ensure that appropriate standards of conduct are established and complied with
- present a yearly operational budget for Board approval and prudently manages resources within those budget guidelines according to company policy and within ethical corporate governance guidelines
- management, monitoring, reporting and communication in regard to financial and physical resources, administration and budgeting
- maintain and develop organisational culture, values and reputation in its markets and with all staff, customers, suppliers, partners and regulatory/official bodies
- in consultation with HR implement effective succession planning, people management, development, recruitment, and retention strategies for the NFC business.
- manage the performance of all heads of department through the formal performance management system
- promotion of diversity and inclusion, as well as business transformation
- self-development and continuing personal development
Basic areas of knowledge and skills
- sound commercial skills
- extensive hands on experience of running sawmill operations
- experience in running and managing highly productive/efficient processing operations
- good project management skills
- knowledge of business and management principles
- sound knowledge of finance, operations and technology
- strong analytical skills
- disciplined completer
- ability to work in a highly pressurised and complex environment
- organisational skills
- leadership skills
- coordinating activities and resources
- the ability to work collaboratively with CEO's and other Exec Heads
- a ‘hands-on' management style
- a penchant for being proactive
Knowledge and skills requirement
Previous hands on experience with setting up and running of large successful sawmill operations. Demonstrate excellence and expertise in the fields of operational management andfinancial. Demonstrate an understanding of the environment of financial and operational planning as well as investments. Demonstrate experience in the management of a team at a professional level. Effective, commercial experience in running a business with multiple locations and with a complex environment.
There is significant travel across all three territories, this being approximately 2 weeks per month
Expiry Friday 3rd November
Applicants to send their CV's to firstname.lastname@example.org